YCW Job Posting: Archives Assistant
The Canadian Lesbian and Gay Archives (CLGA) is hiring an Archives Assistant (YCW) for a 18-week term, beginning November 27, 2017. The position will expose the student to a variety of archival situations designed to improve skills and allow the Archives program to improve public access to its rich holdings of LGBTQ2+ heritage. The successful applicant will work with the Executive Director to convert existing finding aids to standardized EAD-encoded format and make these available publicly through ARCHEION, Ontario’s Archival Information Network. In addition, the Archives Assistant will arrange & describe records, and complete accurate data entry, as required.
The successful candidate will:
- Have completed at least 1 year of a graduate degree in archival studies, in which coursework has focused on archival arrangement and description and/or metadata.
- Be able to demonstrate ability to apply EAD encoding through completed catalogue records and/or published finding aids.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and experience with processing, arrangement and description of personal papers and/or records of organizations records through completed finding aids.
- Have excellent written & oral communication skills.
- Have an ability to work effectively independently & as part of a team.
- Possess the physical ability to lift and carry boxes weighing up to 30 pounds (up & down a set of stairs).
Additional Preferred Qualifications:
- Course work or interest in LGBTQ+ history, particularly knowledge of Canadian professor, journalist, and activist Michael Lynch
The CLGA is committed to supporting and encouraging a diverse environment and seeks candidates from underrepresented communities who can make positive and imaginative contributions. Women, persons with disabilities, visible minorities, and Aboriginal peoples are encouraged to apply.
Organization website: www.clga.ca
Application deadline: November 17, 2017
Salary: $20/hr; 15 hrs/wk
How to apply: Email a cover letter and CV to the attention of Raegan Swanson, Executive