The Canadian Lesbian and Gay Archives (CLGA) is hiring an Archives Assistant (YCW) for a 12-week term, beginning June 4, 2018. The position will expose the student to a variety of archival situations designed to improve skills and allow the Archives to improve public access to its rich holdings of LGBTQ2+ heritage. The successful applicant will arrange & describe records, assist with reference services, and complete accurate data entry, as required. In addition, the Archives Assistant will work with the Executive Director to convert existing finding aids to standardized EAD-encoded format and make these available publicly through ARCHEION, Ontario’s Archival Information Network. The successful candidate will:
The successful candidate will:
- Meet requirements of the Young Canada Works program.
- Have completed at least 1 year of a graduate degree in archival studies, in which coursework has focused on archival arrangement and description and/or metadata.
- Be able to demonstrate ability to apply EAD encoding through completed catalogue records and/or published finding aids.
- Have excellent written & oral communication skills.
- Have an ability to work effectively independently & as part of a team.
- Knowledge and understanding of LGBTQ2+ history, communities and their issues/interests.
- A strong commitment to the mission of the Canadian Lesbian and Gay Archives.
The CLGA is committed to supporting and encouraging a diverse environment and seeks candidates from underrepresented communities who can make positive and imaginative contributions. Women, trans, gender non-conforming, Black, Indigenous, and people of colour people are encouraged to apply.
Organization website: www.clga.ca
Application deadline: May 16, 2018
How to apply: Email a cover letter and CV to the attention of Raegan Swanson, Executive Director firstname.lastname@example.org
Salary: $20/hr; 37.5 hrs/wk.